|The American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth®, (AAHCC), advocates
The Bradley Method® of Husband-Coached Childbirth. The terms, emblems,
and intellectual properties of the AAHCC may be used only by our current members
who are actually teaching The Bradley Method®, using approved materials,
paying dues, holding a current certificate and maintaining affiliation. Use of any
of the above prior to receiving a current certificate would be unacceptable. ANY
USE of the AAHCC™ name, "The Bradley Method®", "Husband-Coached
Childbirth" and other related terms, emblems, and intellectual properties, MUST BE
APPROVED IN WRITING BEFORE USE. Any other items must follow approval guidelines
and be approved and filed promptly with the AAHCC before use and each year at renewal.
The AAHCC trains and supports teachers; it does NOT employ teachers or offer childbirth
The primary function of the AAHCC is to train instructors.
The AAHCC strives to support Instructors and the public by:
- Setting standards for affiliation and for teaching The Bradley Method®
- Referring inquiries
- Publishing AAHCC materials
- Providing Online websites and support
- International Directory
- Providing public relations materials
- Protecting and authorizing use of terms, emblems, etc. by teachers in approved manner
- Authorizing use of title "AAHCC" with name by current affiliates
- Offering reduced rates to teachers where possible
AAHCC AFFILIATION (Certification)
Affiliation with the American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth®
is a privilege, not a right! This affiliation must be applied for by individuals
or couples after meeting all requirements, accepting all rules, policies, guidelines,
and terms of the AAHCC, and successfully completing the teacher training process.
Currently Affiliated Bradley™ teachers may use the phrase, "Affiliated Bradley™
Instructor" or "Bradley™ Certified Childbirth Educator". The title,
"AAHCC" used after their name adds prestige and status while advising the public
that they have received training and have met the high standards and requirements
of the AAHCC. They may be used only while fully affiliated, and in conformance with
this Statement of Policy. Bradley™ affiliates may only teach in person classes. Bradley™
affiliates may not make class recordings in any manner to teach via; phone, internet,
Our primary goal is a healthy mother, healthy baby, and healthy family! (Bradley™
teachers Do Not Practice Medicine or offer medical advice!)
- Teach The Bradley Method® exclusively (as stated in the Student Workbook,
Teacher’s Manual and AAHCC Outlines) and no other childbirth method. Bradley™
classes may not be taught in combination with any nonaffiliated teacher, or any
other childbirth method. Ideas, concepts, and teaching aids are to be shared with
AAHCC and become the intellectual property of the AAHCC, for development, public
relations, and potentially to make available to our teachers.
- Teach NATURAL CHILDBIRTH (with the primary goal of a healthy mother/ baby/family)
as a simple, safe way of giving birth in the absence of medical complications.
- Active participation of the HUSBAND as COACH/DOULA and other desired support person(s),
- Excellent NUTRITION, the foundation of a healthy pregnancy.
- AVOIDANCE of DRUGS during pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding, unless absolutely
- TRAINING: Early/Healthy Pregnancy Classes followed by 12 consecutive weekly Bradley™
classes starting in the fifth month, continuing until birth.
- Classes and home practice of RELAXATION and NATURAL breathing.
- Mothers "TUNING-IN" to their own body.
- Immediate and continuous CONTACT between mother, new baby, and family.
- BREASTFEEDING, beginning at birth.
- POSITIVE communications and consumerism.
- Parents taking RESPONSIBILITY for the safety of the birth place, procedures, birth
attendants and emergency back-up facilities.
- Parents EDUCATED about unexpected situations such as emergency childbirth or cesarean
- TRAIN anyone who genuinely desires this knowledge.
- Encourage further learning, realizing that a good birth is only the beginning.
- TEACH NORMALITY, DO NOT PRACTICE MEDICINE! Anyone offering medical advice
or practicing medicine violates the purpose of the AAHCC, and the legal responsibility
for such violation is entirely that individual’s.
- Put your own FAMILY first.
- Do not mix causes. Keep other interests SEPARATE and do not use The Bradley Method®
or the AAHCC to imply support of other activities. Do not cross advertise The Bradley
Method® with any other venture (i.e. non-Bradley™ doula services, chiropractic,
nursing, etc.) Use of The Bradley Method® or AAHCC while advertising or promoting
other related or nonrelated interests may imply support or endorsement of those
activities and is a violation of the Statement of Policy.
- Maintain high ethical and moral standards. As teachers your first RESPONSIBILITY
is to your STUDENTS, regardless of who is paying for the classes.
- Teachers should NOT COMPETE on the basis of price.
- Teachers should SUPPORT and refer to other current AAHCC teachers listed on our
website. Teachers are encouraged to support local teacher meetings following the
AAHCC group and online guidelines.
- Overly large CLASSES should be avoided. Ideal class size is from 3 to 6 couples
to insure adequate interrelations with the teacher(s). Classes larger than 8 couples
must be split.
- Teachers should ENCOURAGE their students to attend teacher training workshops and
become Bradley™ teachers. Refer your students.
- Teachers need to have a professional presence in dress, class environment, presentation,
and be positive about TBM/AAHCC.
- Use AAHCC materials. Official, current AAHCC Student Workbooks (curriculum) MUST
be purchased ONLY from the AAHCC and given to every student taught. AAHCC coach
cards and follow-up forms are also required to be given to each student, whether
first-timer(s) or 12 week review/returning student(s) (subsequent births). (Submit
copies of other than AAHCC materials and teaching ideas and concepts to be used
in class before any use and each year at renewal).
- Enter your students into the AAHCC Manage Students area via www.aahcc.com and
make sure they have access to the Student Center on bradleybirth.com. Teachers are
required to supply all student information for quality assurance and statistical
analysis. AAHCC does not release or sell information to other parties. For the safety
of AAHCC and our teachers, completed forms are required. HIPAA does not apply to
the standard Bradley™ class.
- Pay dues and all other charges promptly and complete online renewal.
- Strive for 90% spontaneous unmedicated births.
- Train husbands, or other individuals designated by the student, as coaches/doulas.
- Support the AAHCC by promoting and participating in Early/Healthy Pregnancy Classes,
teachers meetings, public service and other activities.
- All classes must be taught using AAHCC outlines. The Bradley Method®
class series is a twelve (12) week consecutive series of twelve (12) classes, the
required standard. Private "crash courses" for one couple only with special needs
may not be routine and may NOT be advertised/publicized. Crash courses may not be
represented as a complete Bradley™ class and more often result in a medicated birth.
Every student must receive an official current Bradley™ Student Workbook including
any crash course students.
- Bradley™ Birth Logs (with complete information including names,
addresses, and email addresses) must be entered promptly on the AAHCC website for
each birth. For quality assurance, statistical analysis, and the safety of AAHCC
and our teachers, completed forms are required.
- Teachers are required to have non-blocked phone numbers with message recording for
the AAHCC and potential students. Return calls promptly, if necessary, refer students
to www.bradleybirth.com and currently affiliated teachers.
The relationship between you and AAHCC shall be governed by the laws of the state
of California. You and AAHCC agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the
courts located within the county of Los Angeles, CA. Your affiliation is subject
to suspension by AAHCC for violation of any of the terms of this Statement of Policy/Contract.
This contract shall remain enforceable. You agree, once you are no longer associated,
to discontinue the use of any materials and/or intellectual properties obtained
from the AAHCC or you created during your affiliation. Remove all public notices
of your prior affiliation with AAHCC/TBM. AAHCC dues, fees, tuition are not refundable.
By participating in AAHCC activities, functions, and interactions you give AAHCC
and its assigns the right to use your or your family member(s) comments and images
for the purpose of education and promotion by AAHCC. If any provision of this Agreement
is determined to be invalid under any applicable statute or rule of law, it is to
that extent to be deemed omitted, and the balance of the Agreement shall remain
RENEWAL FOR 2020 These are current requirements, subject to change each year,
and must be completed by each affiliated teaching entity each year following the
first full year of affiliation. Any exceptions must be approved by the AAHCC. All
members must complete online renewal and pay dues timely.
- Re-read "Husband-Coached Childbirth" current edition.
- Re-read "Assistant Coach's Manual".
- Read additional book(s) related to childbirth education.
- Teach a minimum of ten students each year (if possible).
- Observe one birth (where possible).
- Make sure you enter online, all students in the Manage Students area and birth
logs (complete information required, including addresses and accurate email addresses).
- Send in copies of all non-AAHCC handouts and teaching aids.
- Support AAHCC activities in your area.
- Attend at least one La Leche League meeting each year.
- Observe one class taught by an affiliated AAHCC teacher (if available).